silive.com: April showers brings May fur friends | Adopt a pet, May 1-2
April showers brings May fur friends | Adopt a pet, May 1-2
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — ‘Tis the season for ticks.
Check your fur babies as often as possible or at least at the end of every day. It’s not extra work if it keeps our loved ones safe from harm. It only takes a minute to look them over, but it’s worth the time.
Where do you look when checking for ticks? The diagram below should help. If you give them a good rub down after being outside, you will be able to feel them.
Using a tick repellent can also help. Here are a few options for your pet.
- Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent: Great for backpacking, and other outdoor activities, it’s effective against more than 55 kinds of insects — from disease-spreading ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitoes (West Nile and Zika viruses) to chiggers, spiders, mites and more.
- Best natural tick repellent (for doubling up): 100% natural with lemon and eucalyptus extract.
- Bayer Animal Health Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Large Dogs: Unlike oral flea and tick prevention products that require fleas and ticks to bite your pet to work, Seresto flea and tick collar for large dogs kills fleas and ticks through contact — no biting required. Seresto flea and tick prevention is also available for cats.
- Bravecto Chews for Dogs: Bravecto kills fleas and prevents flea infestations for 12 weeks. Bravecto Chew and Bravecto Topical Solution for Dogs kills ticks (black-legged tick, American dog tick, and brown dog tick) for 12 weeks and also kills lone star ticks for eight weeks. Bravecto Topical Solution for Cats kills black-legged ticks for 12 weeks and American dog ticks for eight weeks.
- Pet Armor Plus: This flea and tick topical treatment for dogs also controls mites that may cause sarcoptic mange and kills deer ticks that may transmit Lyme disease, while also preventing flea re-infestations for up to four weeks. Fast-acting, waterproof and containing the same active ingredients as Frontline Plus for Dogs, this flea and tick treatment for dogs works quickly and effectively.
Find the complete article on how you can protect your pet written by Kelli DeSantis here: https://www.silive.com/entertainment/2021/04/april-showers-brings-may-fur-friends-adopt-a-pet-may-1-2.html